Sunday, September 24, 2017

A Shadow Of A Doubt

Amar has been waiting for this day since the last six months. He had committed a crime of killing a man while driving under the influence and today was his day of freedom. But as he steps outside, he finds no one to greet him. Surprised, he rushes to his house to meet his wife Neha, only to find the house locked. He walks across the street hoping that his friend Suresh would be around but hears that he died two months back.

He then hurriedly goes to his area police station to enquire about his wife. The officer tells him that she had met with an accident and was hospitalized for a few days. However, he has no information of her whereabouts after her discharge. Amar reckons that she could be at her ancestral villa.

He arrives in front of a dilapidated villa located at the far end of the city besides the highway. He approaches a lady sitting by the porch and asks about Neha. She guides him to a room where Neha is lying on a bed. She smiles but Amar gives her a wry look.

Amar: So you survived? But I am sorry that your lover is no more.

Neha: What are you talking about?

Amar: I am talking about you and Suresh. When I was in prison, I kept on thinking of the accident. I was convinced I didn’t drink as much to lose my senses. I knew something was wrong but couldn’t put my finger on it. 

Then I suddenly realized of your closeness to Suresh since college days. A doubt arose in my mind and I had to clear it. To my help came Ranjith, a prison mate who brought me photographs of you and Suresh looking so happy with each other. I was consumed with anger and decided to have you both killed.

Neha (with tears in her eyes): What made you commit this heinous act? A low-life criminal who only wanted quick cash convinced you to do this? Was your anger and doubt so strong that it broke our bond of love and trust? 

Suresh was like a brother who took care of me when you were away. You not only murdered him but also killed a child. Our child. I was pregnant at the time of the accident.

Amar: No. This can’t be. You are lying. You are lying.

Neha (yelling): Get out of here, you devil

Amar leaves the house in a state of shock. Tears falling from his face uncontrollably, as he walks. He is unable to see clearly the truck coming towards him at full speed. He glances at his right and BANG!



A shadow of a doubt ended it all…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Valentine's Tale

  It is Valentine’s Day and Jonu is excited. For, it has been almost two years that he has known Sheena and finally he has mustered the cour...